join cahsjournalInterested in joining the Canadian Aviation Historical Society? We have a diverse membership from across Canada and the world.

Membership Benefits:

Four issues of the CAHS Journal each year, site-wide access, including full-text PDFs of all available Journals, monthly e-newsletters, member's page on the website... and more. To learn more about becoming a CAHS Member, click here.

  • heritage toronto slide

  • Plaque Celebrating Aviation History in Mount Dennis

    Saturday, July 15 - 10:45 am

    Hearst Circle and "The Wishbone" (Opposite Harding Park in Mount Dennis)

    Reception to follow at The Atrium, 12 Division Police Station, 200 Trethewey Drive, North York

    This event is a joint function of Heritage Toronto, CAHS (Toronto Chapter & National) and 400 Squadron Historical Society.  The plaque is honouring the airfield that hosted 1st flight over Toronto in 1910, the startup location of DeHavilland Aircraft in Canada in 1928 at this airfield and in 1932 the first operational base of the RCAF 400 "City of Toronto" Squadron as 10 Sqn and later 110 Sqn.

    RSVP at www.heritagetoronto.org.

    Click here for larger image.

    FINAL Invite Trethewey july15 545

    Background on the William G. Trethewey Property

    By Dr. Robert Galway

    This property was purchased by William Trethewey following his sale of two Silver mining properties that he discovered in Cobalt, Ontario on 1904. He and his brother Joseph O. Trethewey made millions in this transaction. William Trethewey came to Toronto and purchased 600 acres in Weston, near present day Jane St. & Lawrence Ave. in 1907 The Royal Automobile Club of Canada and the OML of which Trethewey was a member, asked for permission to use a portion of the property for an exhibition Air Meet. This took place July 9-16th, 1920 following closely on the heels of the initial Air Meet held in Pointe Claire, PQ.

    During the Toronto meet, French Aviator Jacques de Lesseps completed the first flight over the city of Toronto as he had done two weeks previously in Montreal. The Toronto flight occurred on July 13, 1910. This is the basis for recognizing Jacques de Lesseps on the Heritage Toronto Plaque that will be unveiled this summer on July 15, 2017.

    However, this is not the sole reason for recognizing the contribution that this plot of farmland made to Canadian aviation history.

    Following the Air Meet of 1910, the property became the center of early aviation activity in Toronto. Indeed, it became known as de Lesseps Field. In 1928 de Havilland UK decided establish a manufacturing center in Canada. They were persuaded to do so because of the success they had met in selling the DH60 Moth to the Ontario Provincial Air Service. In their search for a suitable property, they were put in touch with Frank Trethewey who had inherited the property on his father’s demise in 1926. Trethewey leased a parcel of the land to de Havilland and with the incorporation of de Havilland
    Canada was appointed to the DHC Board.

    Consequently, the Trethewey property became the first manufacturing site of de Havilland. In fact the first building used to assemble the DH60 series was the Trethewey Canning Shed made famous by the sketch completed by famous aviation artist, Robert Bradford.

    Frank Trethewey was given the opportunity to purchase DH aircraft at a significant “favored” price. He and his brother were RNAS veteran pilots. In the 1930's he was Chairman of de Havilland Canada.

    The establishment of de Havilland Aircraft on this property in 1928 is the second reason to grant historic recognition to this property.

    Frank Trethewey not only over time purchased three aircraft from DHC but went one step further and joined the RCAF. This led to the establishment of the RCAF Squadron 10/ 110 on Trethewey Field. Frank Trethewey was one of the first four flying officers appointed to the Squadron. In 1940 he was appointed commanding officer of Base Trenton.

    The squadron was formed in October 1932 as 10 (Army Cooperation) Squadron and began flying in 1934 at the Trethewey Farm airfield (aka de Lesseps Field) in Toronto. In April, 1935, the City of Toronto adopted the squadron which then became officially known as “10 (City of Toronto) Squadron”. In 1937, the squadron was re-designated “110 (City of
    Toronto) Squadron”.

    The squadron flew five basic types of aircraft, all biplanes, from Trethewey until late 1939 when it deployed to Rockcliffe. During the Trethewey era, the squadron was involved in recruitment and flight training. At Rockcliffe, the squadron underwent conversion to the Canadian-built Westland Lysander until mid-February 1940. The squadron then deployed to the UK as the first RCAF squadron to enter the Second World War.

    In the UK, the squadron was initially equipped with the Lysander III and was involved in the Army Co-op and photo reconnaissance role. The squadron was active in the Dunkirk evacuation (27 May - 3 June 1940) but not directly involved in the Battle of Britain (10 July - 31 Oct. 1940). In mid-1941, the squadron was re-designated “400 Squadron”.

    Today, the Squadron is located at Camp Borden and is the main maintenance centre for maintenance of the RCAF's Tactical Helicopter Squadrons.

  • Canada150books slide

  • 2017 convention slide savethedate 600px

  • My Snowbirds Flight - Aide-Memoire

Tony Soulis

ANTONIOS (TONY) SPIROS SOULIS

Kanata, Ontario

tony soulisTony was born in 1943 in Montreal, QC. He was raised and schooled in Quebec City and entered the Canadian Army Soldier Apprentice Training Program at the Royal Canadian Electrical & Mechanical Engineer School at Barriefield Ontario, in 1959. After graduation, he joined Army Aviation in 1962, where he trained on Bell, Hiller, and Sikorsky helicopters at the US Army School of Aviation, Fort Rucker, Alabama, and subsequently deployed as a Helicopter Technician with NATO forces in West Germany.

In 1966, he entered the civil aviation field as an apprentice engineer with Skyrotors Limited of Arnprior, Ontario. He was contracted to maintain Hiller 12Es at Universal Helicopters in support of the Baie D' Espoir hydro-electric project in Newfoundland. After obtaining his AME licence in 1967, he remained with Skyrotors in helicopter maintenance throughout the Yukon and Northwest Territories, where he was one of the first AMEs to maintain Fairchild-Hiller, Bell, and Hughes turbine-powered helicopters.

Joining Transport Canada's Air Services Division at Uplands Ontario in 1971, he shortly thereafter transferred to Quebec City, assuming maintenance responsibility for the Coast Guard's helicopters. While there, he received several awards for maintenance procedure and operational cost improvements. In 1978, he returned to Uplands, responsible for the provision of initial and recurrent helicopter training to TC pilots and AMEs.

He transferred to Transport Canada Civil Aviation (TCCA) in 1985 as Superintendent in charge of Technical Inspector and Engineer training. He co-authored the Audit and Inspection Manual, and drafted the maintenance standardization rules for NAFTA's Air Speciality Operations. The 1999 regulatory changes to AME licensing standards, credentials, and associated control mechanisms were directly influenced by recommendations in his authored White Paper on AME Licensing & Training Change.

He served on CARAC for CAR Sub Part 403; the FAA's ARAC for Part 43 and 65; is a past president of the Canadian Aviation Historical Society; is a founding member of the International Society of Aviation Maintenance Professionals (ISAMP); is a recipient of aviation industry awards, including Flight Safety International's Master Technician Award; has authored technical and regulatory articles; was a Moderator for several World Airline Training Conferences (WATS); and has been a member of the Atlantic AME Association since 1983. Tony remained with TCCA until his retirement in 1999.