Air Force Heritage Park at Summerside, PEI:
a fitting memorial

Photos and report By Gord McNulty, CAHS Vice President

An opportunity to visit three aviation museums in Atlantic Canada, beginning with the Air Force Heritage Park in Summerside, PEI, ( and proved to be a rewarding experience.


Air Force Heritage Park, just outside the gates of the former RCAF Station and CF Base Summerside, is an attractive destination for aviation fans.

The Park, located just outside the gates of the former RCAF Station/Canadian Forces Summerside at Slemon Park, is dedicated to the memory of those military and civilian personnel who served at the station/base during its lifetime. Three refurbished historic aircraft: a Canadair CP-107 Argus, a Grumman/de Havilland Canada-built CP-121 Tracker, and a McDonnell CF-101B Voodoo, are displayed in an attractive, well-landscaped setting.


Grumman Tracker 131 was the 30th Tracker built by de Havilland Canada and first carried RCN serial number 1531.  Sept. 5, 2019

image9 image18 image2

An impressive Memorial Wall and descriptive Commemorative Plaques are among the features of the Park. The displays describe the history and importance of the aircraft, and honour the memory of airmen who perished in crashes.

The Park is edged with Commemorative Stones which provide a way for personnel to be remembered in the form of an engraved granite stone. More than 600 stones are installed along a Walk of Honour.

The Park was built with the dedication and hard work of the Aviation Heritage Society (PEI). The current Society, formed in 2009, was inspired by previous initiatives that formed and disbanded over more than 20 years. It is led by a group of retired military and civilian air force personnel with a mandate to collect, preserve and promote the military aviation history of PEI from the early days to the present.

Barry Rowan, of the Society, underlined the financial support the Park has received from the members of 200 Wing Summerside RCAF Association and the staff of Slemon Park Corporation who also maintain the grounds and shrubbery.

The Society and its supporters deserve full credit for their achievements in restoring these aircraft and making an outstanding contribution to air force history. The Park is a must-see for aviation fans whenever they visit PEI and we wish the members of the Society every success in maintaining the aircraft and the appearance of the surrounding grounds for years to come.

The Argus, 10739, was taken on strength by the RCAF in February, 1960, and accepted by 404 Maritime Patrol Squadron at RCAF Station, Greenwood, NS. In 1965, it was re-assigned to 415 Squadron at Summerside.

In June/July 1966, 739 flew from Summerside to Pisa, Italy, via the Azores. It participated in NATO torpedo exercises and, according to the park historians, was probably the only Argus to ever visit Italy. 739 was ultimately transferred back to Greenwood and took its final flight to Summerside on 5 June, 1980. It was retired from flying duty after exactly 20 years and four months, with a grand total of 15,087.4 flying hours.

The CP-121 Tracker first carried the Royal Canadian Navy serial number 1531 while serving in the anti-submarine role. When Trackers were taken over by the air force and re-assigned under the CP-121 designation to anti-drug patrols, fishery patrols, and search and rescue, the aircraft was renumbered to 12131.


Tracker 131 was renumbered 1531 to 12131, as shown, when the Trackers were re-roled to anti-drug patrols, fishery patrols and more and redesignated as the CP-121.

Tracker 131 was also utilized as an Airborne Electronic Sensor Operator during its time with 880 Maritiime Reconnaissance Squadron at Summerside.


McDonnell CF-101B Voodoo 101037 at Air Force Heritage Park  was taken on strength in 1970 with 416 Squadron at CFB Bagotville and flew in the squadron's air demonstration team.

The CF-101B Voodoo, 101037, first entered service with the USAF. It went to the Canadian Forces on 2 December, 1970, with 416 All Weather Fighter Squadron at Bagotville, Quebec. It also participated in the 416 Squadron Air Demonstration Team.

On 23 June, 1975, 037 sustained a fuel tank explosion and fire during maintenance. The fire was quickly contained by ground crew and the aircraft was repaired. In 1984, 037 became an instructional airframe and was eventually shipped to CFB Summerside for use in battle damage repair training.

For more information, contact Barry Rowan at (902) 436-7336 or

I will have a report on two museums in Nova Scotia --- the Greenwood Military Aviation Museum and the Shearwater Aviation Museum --- in future editions of the Newsletter.


Informative, well-illustrated plaques describe the role of the Tracker and other aircraft at Air Force Heritage Park in Summerside, PEI.


Voodoo 101037 sustained a fuel tank explosion and fire during maintenance on 23 June, 1975. The fire was quickly contained by ground crew and the aircraft was repaired.


Another view of CF-101B Voodoo 101037.


CP-107 Argus 10739 at Air Force Heritage Park, the 30th Argus built by Canadair, flew for more than 20 years, with a total of 15,087.4 flying hours.